Tuesday, February 5, 2008

late, and with tangled hair

Days spent
out here in the cold

people drowning out
the wooden walls of smirks

passing by as the days hush
to themselves, filming cheeks in the rain.



There's an urgency in the way
I tried to interrupt you.

There's an urgency because I
had to apologize for thinking
you were mocking me

when in truth you were just
mirroring back what I'd said
without confidence

shining light on a mode of friendship
employing this loftiness of heart this lightness.

I'm realizing now as you sleep
that it must sound crazy
for me to talk about loving exhausting
to the bottoms getting to the underneaths
the ways of things

when I'm leaving you with partials
trickled I don't knows

It's taken me this long
it's taken me to see that

the length it's taken
is six beers
or so
and a spliff
and now waking in the middle of the night,
parched and thirsty
(having dreamt of water thirst)
to sit now on the floor

in the only light coming
from the neighbor's window
and the two sounds
are your light
snoring and the rumble of the S-bahn

and I understand a suspension in the Berlin morning.

© 2008, Jared Linzmeier